There are many reasons why you might have stumbled across the concept of a ductless AC solution for your Tallahassee area home. Perhaps you’re building a new addition, or adding cooling to an older home that doesn’t have installed ductwork. Perhaps you’d like to remove damaged ductwork and regain the space it has been taking up.
Whatever the reason, a Mitsubishi AC – sometimes called a mini-split – is an efficient and shockingly affordable option for many homes.
This article is intended to go over some of the reasons a compact ductless AC system may be the way to go. While most people have heard of these systems or have seen installations in place before, there is surprisingly little that the average person really understands about them.
Here are 6 compelling reasons to choose a ductless Mitsubishi AC.
1. They are more affordable. In most places, utility costs can feel a little out of control. In recent years, soaring utility costs have made efficiency the #1 concern of homeowners and HVAC manufacturers. Because a ductless system, as the name suggests, does not use ductwork, there is literally zero loss of cooling within the duct system.
Where even well-insulated ducts will experience some heat or cooling loss as the air circulates toward the vents, a Mitsubishi AC quietly pumps cool air directly into the space. In contrast, the average central air conditioner will see as much as a quarter – 25% - of the air moving through ductwork lost to holes, leaks, or poor insulation.
Also, because traditional forced-air systems are much larger, ductless systems use significantly less electricity. It isn’t uncommon for owners switching from forced-air or window units to see a 30% reduction in their energy bills. It also becomes extremely simple to create heating and cooling “zones” in your home so you aren’t wasting money to cool unoccupied spaces.
Lastly – and this is a big one – ductless systems also qualify for tax credits and utility rebates, dependent on your local and state government programs. Ask a Mitsubishi Comfort specialist today whether you are eligible.
2. They are versatile and flexible. Ductless AC units are very simple – they typically consist of nothing more than a small outdoor condenser and one (or more) indoor units. No ducts, no temperature loss, and no fuss. All that is required is that the unit be mounted and connected to the home’s power.
The ease with which a Mitsubishi system can be installed makes them ideal for additions, new construction, and auxiliary temperature control in large homes, apartments, or anywhere that you want to replace inefficient window units or expensive forced-air systems.
3. Installation is a snap. If you’ve ever purchased a traditional forced-air heating or cooling system, you know how intense a process that can be. The outside unit is large and often noisy, the installation can disrupt your home for days at a time, and you are completely at the mercy of contractors, because the system is too complex for an untrained person to understand.
You end up with no choice but to trust them when they say they’ve done it right, and unless you experience any obvious warning signs, you’d never know if it was efficiently done at all. With a ductless AC, you can often have it up and running in a single day, it requires far less work, and you don’t have to worry about any massive construction.
The pipes that run a Mitsubishi ductless system are only three inches wide – that means no sacrifice of space, and no rebuilding or repainting in the wake of your HVAC installers.
4. Ductless AC systems are eco-friendly. Because ductless cooling systems are designed for zoning and are smaller than their forced-air cousins, they are more energy efficient. A Mitsubishi AC far exceeds the minimum efficiency requirements of the federal government.
It isn’t uncommon for SEER ratings on these units to exceed 24 – which is nearly double the government’s mandate. If lowering your carbon footprint is a concern, you’ll also take comfort in knowing that ductless systems don’t use R22 (Freon), which is harmful to the ozone layer.
It is much easier to maintain an environmentally friendly home when you have such simple and customizable configurations to work with.
5. There are health benefits to a Mitsubishi AC. Ductwork is expensive and difficult to clean and even thorough maintenance can’t completely guarantee that you won’t see a buildup of dust or even mold. Central AC systems employ filters throughout the system to combat that; ductless AC systems simply don’t require that.
They filter air directly at the indoor unit, and it never passes through ducts that could potentially contain harmful particles. It is common for the air inside a home to be less pure than the outdoors – thus “going outside for a breath of fresh air” but with a Mitsubishi ductless system, multi stage filtration at the source drastically reduces pollen, dust, bacteria, mold, and other nuisances.
Ductless AC units make far less noise than central air and window units. Have you ever lain awake at night listening to noise rumbling through your ductwork, or been awoken by the sudden powering-on of a nearby window unit?
You’ll be pleased to know that ductless systems have a much lower noise output. Between that and their small size, you may not realize your air conditioner is even there.
So to sum things up: you’ll spend less money upfront, you’ll reduce ongoing operating costs, your installation will be faster and safer, your home will be comfortable when and where you need it to be, the earth will thank you for being green, your lungs will thank you for the cleaner air, and you’ll never again be startled or annoyed by your air conditioner making noise.
With so much to recommend a Mitsubishi AC, what are you waiting for? Reach out to your comfort specialists today and give us at 850-895-9712 and claim your free consultation!